(403) 736 - 4677

Frequently Asked Questions

Do you provide housing, housekeeping, snow removal, yard work and other services? If not, what services do you provide?

No - we can help connect you to the people who do, but we don’t provide those services ourselves. We can also help to see if you qualify for subsidies to pay for those services.

Read More

We do not provide direct services such as housing, housekeeping. Our role is to provide information and connect people (with their consent) to services and resources that they need to age with dignity and in the right place.  For example, although we don’t provide the cleaning assistance ourselves, we will look at finding you services that can that fit with your specific needs.

Our service coordinators typically help with the following:

  • Information and referrals
  • Assistance with forms for pensions, benefits, transportation and housing
  • Caregiver support
  • Access to volunteer supports
  • Elder abuse intervention and support
  • Commissioner for oaths
  • Assessment and case management
  • Group activities and workshops

Where is your office? I would like to drop by your office to speak to a service coordinator.

You can call 403-SENIORS (403-736-4677) to obtain more information about our services as well as other services and programs for seniors. If you need the support of a service coordinator, our intake coordinator at 403-SENIORS will be able to do an intake over the phone with you.  Then a service coordinator will contact you to make an appointment for a visit either at your home, at their office, or at another community location.

You can also visit our website at www.thewayincalgary.ca for more information.

Who can get help from The Way In? How do I get the help of a service coordinator?

Our service coordinators provide support to individuals aged 65 and over, as well as their families and friends. You can access our service by calling 403-SENIORS (403-736-4677).

Who in the Network provides services to older adults? What are the qualifications of these people?

Services from the Network are provided through our Service Coordinators. Service Coordinators are typically social workers or experienced workers with qualifications in a related field (e.g. gerontology, psychology).

I am a social worker from AHS (or any other professional agency), can you tell me what is the role of a service coordinator in relation to other professionals in the community?

The Way In is a voluntary program, aimed at helping older adults living in the community to connect with those community resources they need to stay as independent as possible. Our coordinators do not typically go into supported or assisted living facilities.

We aim to have a coordinated approach when working with clients with multiple services [so they receive] the most comprehensive and streamlined services possible.  (We are also always willing to consult with other service providers about potential services they might suggest in particular situations, without sharing individual client information.  We are not able to share information about clients unless written consent to release information has been provided by the client.  We are also not able to access information about clients that is held by AHS or other service providers.)

I am calling about a senior living in a care (assisted living) facility or a shelter, would you be able to assist this senior?

No - we support older adults who are living independently in the community. Care facilities and shelters have set up support services for residents in their facility. It is best to get help through the facility – it is more convenient for the older adult to get assistance through their residential facility and the services can be better coordinated and integrated.

On rare occasions service coordinators have met with senior residents (or their family, friends) when services provided by the facility are unable to meet a specific need.  This is reviewed on a case by case basis by the network supervisors.

Are you a government agency?

No. The network is a collaboration of Calgary-based not for profit agencies dedicated to enhancing quality of life and access to services and support for vulnerable older adults and their families.

We are funded by the Family and Community Support Services (FCSS), a joint municipal/provincial preventative social services program.

Do you charge for services?

No, there is no charge to our services. If you’d like to make a donation, please click here.

Some agencies may charge a small fee for services of a Commissioner for Oaths or group programs and activities.

I’m 60, can you help me? I am 56, can you help me? I have called many places and nobody can help me.

Our services are geared to support older adults 65 and above. We may accept clients under 65 under special circumstances. We can [also] provide basic information on available services for persons under 65 years old.

I’m in a crisis, can you send someone to assist me immediately?

We are not a crisis service. If you or someone you know is in a crisis, please contact the Distress Centre at 403-266-HELP (403-266-4357) or 9-1-1.

Still have more questions?

If we haven’t answered your question, please call us at 403-SENIORS (403-736-4677) during business hours. Alternatively you can fill in our contact form here.

Need help immediately? If you are in crisis, call the Distress Centre at 403-266-HELP (403-266-4357) OR 911